The Autism Coalition of Nevada (ACON) is comprised of representatives from various autism advocacy organizations, agencies and professionals who serve Nevadans with Autism Spectrum Disorders and related Neurodevelopmental Disorders throughout our state.
ACON believes the children, adults and their families, who are touched by these disorders, deserve an early diagnosis, deserve to have access to evidence-based treatments, and to receive accurate information regardless of age, income, or race.
Our main purpose is to ensure that services are available to all, and to keep you informed of progress in this area. The Autism Coalition of Nevada is focused in uniting all people affected by ASD, ASD Advocacy organizations, local and national political affiliates/Legislators, and the service providers in Nevada and all other states in the U.S.
We are a non-compete Coalition, dedicated to bringing these groups together in support of a common cause, goal and purpose. ACON supporters are not interested in dwelling in past problems or anamosity. We look toward a bright future, working together to help those affected by ASD. Collaboratively we work together to cause change – One Voice…One Cause.
We have combined efforts and have had tremendous success in gaining legislation that has begun to create extraordinary changes in the state of Nevada. Over the past year, we have collectively managed to reform statewide public policy addressing awareness and the availability of appropriate services across the lifespan for individuals with Autism Spectrum Disorders and related Neurodevelopmental Disorders. We are especially grateful to our supporters, lawmakers, families, and caregivers who have stood with us in realizing our mission. AB 162 was put into law in the past legislative session. Nevada became the 11th State to mandate insurance coverage for the treatment of ASD.
We are so proud of the many accomplishments you have helped us in achieving. We must continue to focus on our mission. Join us as we continue our efforts to move forward in meeting all of our objectives now and in the future. Our ability to share our compassion and care is limitless. Below, please see a list of our current and future goals.
- Continung our mission of outreach, welcoming new parents, individuals and organizations on as members of our Coalition, and to promote future success of the programs, events, projects, and educational opportunities brought to us by our Board and by all of our new ACON members.
- To continue our work with State agencies for the development of an effective early screening program, and to work with and support the EESP Committee.
- Sponsoring/Creating inovative, progressive, programs in Nevada; such as parenting classes, behavior classes; speech/language, support group, educational series, event planning and more.
- To continue our mission to raise the maximum in increased awareness, funding, education and more, by devoting our time and energy toward bringing events and projects to Nevada.
- Our ongoing work with 'Lili Claire' and Renown Medical Center, as well as the UNR Autism Diagnostic Group (UCAN), and our combined efforts to increase overall quality and provisions of providers and services to Nevada families.
Continuing Our Long Term Goals- 2012
- Facilitate the advancement of scientific research by aligning ACON with the top Research institutions around the world such as the UC Davis MIND Institute, the Kennedy-Krieger Institute, Harvard, Cleveland Clinic, the International Society for Autism Research (INSAR), and many more.
- Further program requirements for early intervention and childhood education programs
- Addressing respite care issues for families with members who are effected by ASD
- Continue to address job training issues for adults, and young adults diagnosed with ASD and other Neurodevelopmental Disorders
- Continue to connect with and improve our community-based supports
- Address adult issues related to Autism Spectrum Disorders across the Lifespan
ACON recognizes that our members may have specific priorities and issues that they wish to pursue individually; however each ACON member supports the goals of ACON.